Maryland Matters invited the 2022 candidates for governor to answer the following question:
In 300 words or less, please share your vision for your first 100 days in office. Please include individual policy priorities and specific actions you will commit to take if you are elected.
The response from Peter Franchot (D):
All of my pledges (located at Franchot.com) respond to Marylanders’ needs, and produce tangible results that truly impact their quality of life. I was also the first candidate to develop a Black Agenda, titled “A Level Playing Field”, which seeks to acknowledge and address our State’s shortcomings by implementing institutional reforms that promote equity and inclusion.
In my administration’s first 100 Days, I will begin to rebuild trust in the competence of state government and its ability to ensure every Marylander shares in the prosperity of the State. I will publicly audit the performance of agencies; produce measurable, outcome-based goals for each agency; and publicly track agency performance against their established goals. Early, visible benchmarks will be to fill every pothole on state roads; clean all trash on state roads; and answer every Marylander’s call to state agencies within 60 seconds with a live, friendly, trained professional. This will build
trust for bigger, bolder plans that include:
- Breaking ground on the Red Line project, completing the Purple Line, and better resourcing MARC and WMATA.
- Forgiving student loans for graduates that live, work, and pay taxes in Maryland for 5-years after graduation.
- Creating 100,000 family-supporting jobs that include benefits like health care and retirement, driven by investments in our infrastructure.
- Building Federally Qualified Healthcare Clinics that offer affordable primary and preventative care within a 15 minute commute of every Marylander.
- Making Maryland the first Net Zero state in the nation.
- Enshrining access to abortion in Maryland’s constitution, and ensuring every Marylander has affordable access to abortion care services.
The Franchot/Anderson-Walker ticket has the experience and track record to deliver concrete solutions that address Marylanders’ kitchen table issues. Marylanders know I never overpromise and under-deliver, and I will work every day to improve their quality of life.