One Last Look Back: Our Most-Read Stories of 2020
For the past dozen days, we’ve republished some of our best articles and opinion pieces of 2020. Compiling that list was a challenge, because we’re proud of so much of our work from the past 12 months ― stories and commentaries generated under circumstances we never could have imagined as 2020 dawned.
We start the new year with one last look back ― at the dozen stories and opinion pieces that attracted the most readers in 2020. We think you’ll agree it’s an interesting list ― one that reflects the tragedies, public health crises, odd politics and searing policy debates of the previous year.
These are the stories you made possible by supporting our independent, nonprofit newsroom.
Each and every one of us at Maryland Matters is deeply honored and enormously encouraged by your generosity.
As you may recall, a few charitable foundations agreed to match whatever money we raised from readers like you during the last two months of 2020. We’re pleased and grateful to report that we exceeded our fundraising goals during this two-month period.
So thank you!
Now, with the new year, we are excited to report on the critical issues that will come before the General Assembly and leaders in the city of Baltimore and counties across the state. Thank you again for the opportunity to bring you the news.
Here, then, is our list of most-read stories in 2020:
- Hogan Administration Official Praises Teen Kenosha Shooter on Social Media, Loses Job
- Frank DeFilippo: DeJoy to the World, Your Mail Won’t Come
- U.S. Navy Strongly Opposed To Capital Beltway Widening Project
- Maryland Hiring Hundreds of Stay-at-Home Workers for Contact Tracing Effort
- UPDATE: Ex-LG Says Search for Daughter, Grandson ‘Has Turned From Rescue to Recovery’
- Opinion: Fomenting Fear and Division in Montgomery County
- Anne Arundel Ballot Questions ― To Expand Audits, Council Oversight ― Explained
- Montgomery Co. Elected Officials Warn Voters About School Board Candidate
- Hogan Appointee to Md.’s Top Court Represented Opioid Manufacturer Against State
- Hopkins Hospital Looking for Volunteers to Make Face Masks
- Trump’s ‘RINO’? The Betting Is It’s Hogan
- Feeling Lost at Sea During COVID-19? Cruise Ship Performer From Md. Literally Has Been for 7 Weeks